Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Verification in Excel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoValence

Technical User
Mar 21, 2006
US
Hi All,

Is it possible to verify if data is sequential or not. If so how would one accomplish this?

I'm creating a serial # log sheet if that helps at all. I want each serial # that's entered to be equal to the previous cell incremented by one.

Thanks in Advance,

Neo

Hi,

use a formula, referencing the previous cell like...
[tt]
In C2: =C1+1
[/tt]
Check out the Data > List... feature, which can automatically put the formula in the new row as you begin entering data in that row.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Skip,

Thanks for the suggestion. It got me on the right track. Though I ended up taking a different route since I'm using Office 2007 and I assume you are not.

I had to first select the column to contain the serial# data, then click the "Data" tab, then click the "Data Verification" button, then in the "Settings" tab for the "Validation Criteria" group, select "Whole Number" in the "Allow:" drop down box, then selct "equal to" in the "Data:" drop down box and finally enter "=ROW()+4998"(minus the quotes) in the "Value:" text box(where 4998 is the starting product serial# minus 2 since data entry begins in row 2 of the data sheet).

I know this is all elementary stuff so forgive me for being such a noobie.

Thanks,

Neo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back