Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DATA VALIDATION

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrk2

Technical User
Aug 19, 2002
US
I would like to use a query to validate data and supply any non valid entries on a report. What I need suggestions on is how to compare data from a column in one table to data in the other table. For example I have a table with customers, each customer has a unique ID (1,2,3). The query list customers who have attended a class and the customers are identified by there customer id. Right now I have a query that looks at all entries in the "attendance" table that have a null entry in the customer ID. I would also like it to compare the ID's in "attendance" to the actual exisitng ID's in the customer table and if the ID does not exist then the record would be returned in the query.
thanks for any suggestions.
mrk

Hi,

There is a wizard that helps you find records in one table that aren't in another, but it to find records in the attendance table that aren't in the customer table should be something like this...

SELECT tblAttendance.Customer_ID
FROM tblAttendance LEFT JOIN tblCustomers ON tblAttendance.Customer_ID = tblCustomers.Customer_ID
WHERE (((tblCustomers.Customer_ID) Is Null));

Hope this helps,

Jamie

On second thoughts, you could stop invalid entries in the first place enforcing referential integrity in th erelationship or using a lookup for customer_id in the attendance table/ form...

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back