Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Validation with Comments Box included

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkriese

Technical User
May 18, 2003
US
Check out this cool code I had help with. Works great if you have a list of names and addresses used for Data Validation and you need to have additional customer info. Take a look

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

On Error Resume Next ' Ignore VBA Error If Trying To Delete
' A Comment That Does't Exist
If Target = Worksheets("Sheet2").Range("ValdCell") Then ' If Cell With Validation Changes
With Target
.Comment.Delete ' Delete any Existing Attached Comment
' Find Comment On List And Add It To Cell
.AddComment.Shape.TextFrame.Characters.Text = _
Worksheets("Vlookup").Range("List").Find(Target).Comment.Shape.TextFrame.Characters.Text
End With
End If

End Sub

For newbies (like me) the two named ranges are "List" which is the worksheet that contains the data validation names and address list, and "Valdcell" which is where you want to place the data validation on any other worksheet.

Please test the code, see what you can add to it. I will be working on Hiding the comments box until need, an easy way to edit the comments box (for the end user) and a way to add the comments box on a USERFORM for when you make additions to the list thru a USERFORM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back