Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Transfer Issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

logo

Programmer
Aug 22, 2001
US
I am trying to upgrade from ACCESS 2000 to SQL Server 7. I am using the DTS wizard, when I transfer from Access->SQL I receive this error:

Error at destination for Row number 1....invalid character value for cast specification.

My Access table does not have any illegal entries...I'm not sure what this error means? Can anyone help me?

It is likely, that the reference to CAST in the error message means that a conversion from the Access data type to a SQL data type was attempted but could not be carried out because the data could not be converted to the destination data type. Did the error message tell you which column and data types were in error?

What are the data types of the Access database? Do the data types of the corresponding columns in the SQL Server match? One typical problem is the conversion of an Access datetime column to a SQL smalldatetime column where data may be truncated.

Horror Stories Getting Access Time Data into SQL Server via DTS

Be aware that DTS doesn't handle data transfer for Access as well as the upsizing wizard. Have you considered using the Wizard instead of DTS?

Check the following links for more information.

ACC2000: How to Use Data Transformation Services (DTS) to Export Data from a Microsoft Access Database to a SQL Server Database

Using the Microsoft Access 2000 Upsizing Tools with SQL Server 7.0 or MSDE

Upsizing - Data Type Mapping

More Upsizing Links
Terry L. Broadbent
FAQ183-874 contains tips for posting questions in these forums.
NOTE: Reference to the FAQ is not directed at any individual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back