Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data storage suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaedalusPrime

Programmer
May 25, 2005
US
I'm writing an application that collects and stores user input for processing by another program. The data that it collects can be split into two groups: one that follows a list format, for which there will always be a set number of inputs, and the other that follows a spreadsheet style that could have anywhere from 1 to 20 or more rows.

I'd prefer to save and load the data from a single output file to keep things simple and compact. I have code down to save/load the data to/from the list portion using a Dataset and built in functions for reading and writing XML files. I'd like to keep it this way if I can to keep my code simple and easy to read, but it's not a requirement.

Any suggestions you have regarding the best way to store this "list data" and "spreadsheet data" both internally in my code and externally to the hard drive are appreciated.

Thanks!

It seems I've answered my own question.

For any who wish to know, I altered my XML schema to contain two tables, and my forms to have a list format input to one table, and a DataGrid input to the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back