Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Storage Backup -- Tape / Disk???

Status
Not open for further replies.

fox12

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
US
I am new to this field and new your advice. I am looking for a solution to backup up to 100 GBs each day for 7 (or up to 14) days. I can go either a Tape backup or a Disk backup. Can you gurus provide some information about a "good" Tape Drive, a Disk Storage server and their costs? It is also very helpful if you can provide some of your experience with Tape drive/Disk Storage server, particularly about its performance and reliability.

Thanks so much.

Yan

This is a much more detailed discussion than it seems. There are many factors to consider.

For example - Do you need to retain the data? If so, for how long?

Do you need to send your backups offsite? Highly recommended.

What type of data are you backing up?

Do you need an automated solution?

What backup software do you plan on using?

Whats your budget?

There are many products out there, such as LTO Tape, and ATA disk.

Do both. Backup to disk and then back that up to tape for long term storage. This type of disk staging is becoming very popular.

Doing both is not for everyone. For 100GB data, you will need to prove a Return of Investment.

Hi,

I would like to put an networked based HDD greater that 160Gb on my network so that I can run NTBackup to backup some Rack mounted servers.

From there I can backup to tape and take off site.

What would you recommend? I'm looking on Dabs Direct at the moment but most devices are USB2 or Firewire.

If at all possible, can the device you recommend be seen by Apple Macs? This would be nice but isn't a necessity!

Cheers,
Carl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back