Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data server and client tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

hokky

Technical User
Nov 9, 2006
AU
Hi guys,

I got newbie question, I'm normally using oracle.

But I was just wondering about "data server"
I saw in my table the unix server and data server is different.
Can someone pls explain me about data server means and how it put in unix server?
or probably can give example compare to oracle to make it more sense to me.

Because in oracle we have one dedicated directory to handle all data in one unix server, so the unix server name and the name of where the oracle data put are the same.

Also what the best client tools to access sybase? I usually use toad for oracle? what about sybase?

Thanks guys,

Cheers,

I don't know much about Oracle but once worked for a company that had more than one Oracle server and more than one Sybase server on a single unix host (unix server), and with different versions. And obviously the database server names was not named the same as the unix host.

A Sybase data server process is just a process/engine servicing a specific Sybase server (instance).
And there can be more than one dataserver/process per Sybase server up to the max number of available CPUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back