Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Selection from two databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

busi1

Technical User
Dec 14, 2005
US
Hi,

I have a report where i need to select the data from two databases. I am getting names fields and company information of the customers from 5 tables in one database and address information from 1 table in other database. I created a subreport for the address information. When i run the report i am getting the data only from the first one ( i.e., names and company information) in the main report and a blank sub report. I tried by changing the links for main and sub report by different fields in my report. It still does'nt work.

The 2 databases i am using are( Marketing and Finance databases) sitting on Oracle server.

I am using Crystal 10.0 and oracle9

Thanks

You need to speak with your dba or do some discovery of which fields are supposed to join, it seems unlikely that this would be a good place to learn how your database works.

Aside from that issue, subreports should be avoided. A standard way to do this, and an easy interface for performing discovery is MS Access.

In a blank database select New->Link (not import) and bring the tables from each database into Access, the use the graphical query interface to test your joins, and create a query to be used as the Crystal Report data source.

-k

Hi,
Since both instances are Oracle, have your DBA setup a DB link from the one with 5 tables to the other one...Then you can create a view in the main database instance that joins the tables and use that view for your reports..

This way you can use Oracle's Native Connection method and avoid any added issues that may arise with 'passing through' Access.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back