Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Report Grouping

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZOR

Technical User
Jan 30, 2002
GB
Can grouping be done on a datareport being driven by SQL, and datareport form controls being unbound. I have tried creating a row header, and putting the particular group header control in, but it throws it out. I have a With loop for the detail section1, and I tried putting another loop outside that for the Row header (Group), but it fell over, nearly like me at the moment.

Adding a bit more. Is it possible to have a datareport with grouping levels if there is no dataenvironment installed, ie report from SQL. I cannot even find how to insert a Group heading section with just a straight line in, it reports "Report sections do not match data source", and thats just a graphical line put in, so what chance groping in the dark do I have of recognisiing data to put in the group row heading. My code so far is

StrSQL = "SELECT * FROM Episode "

Set Rs = MyConn.Execute(StrSQL)

With DataReport1
.DataMember = vbNullString
Set .DataSource = Rs
.Caption = "Title of Report"

With .Sections("Section1").Controls
.Item("DD").DataField = Rs.Fields(5).Name
.Item("DE").DataField = Rs.Fields(6).Name
.Item("DF").DataField = Rs.Fields(7).Name
End With

.Show

End With

It looks simple enough if VB was logical, to include ("Section2/3") whatever and stick controls there, but as usual the whole thing is designed to waste another day or two. If anyone has any ideas I would be greatful. Kept away from Dataenvironment as problems passing variables through.
Can I load a datareport from a listbox??, I could manage to fill that the way I want things. Thanks

It is possible to do, but not simple.
What you need to do is create a hierarchical recordset using the SHAPE-APPEND command.
To enable this, first change the connection-string for SQL server to include;
Provider=MSDataShape.1;Data Provider=SQLOLEDB
Change the Query string to include the hierarchy as described in You also have to change the databindings to set the DataMember property of the items in the detail section to the child recordset. (As described here:
Hope this helps.

Thanks PetMel, you are right, it is complicated. I will have to rethink things, maybee resorting to a data environment. I originally started that way but then had problems putting in SQL lines. When I found I could do things without a dataenvironment using SQL I thought my problems were solved. However I have come unstuck with grouping, -

Plumbing
Jack Pipe
Harry Burst

Lighting
Jack Bulb
Ken Lamp

etc.

Actually I have been going round in circles for a while. The ouput is wanted on something someone can read prior to printing. I tried putting results on Notepad, but that was unliked. The datareport looks the best if only I can get somewhere. Thought I was near, but now find I'm not. Thanks for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back