Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComputersUnlimited

IS-IT--Management
Dec 18, 2013
US
I am trying to recover data from a hard drive for a customer and thus far have been unsuccessful.

Windows and Ubuntu see the drive, however both say it has no partition. I have tried running Get Data Back for both NTFS and FAT on it . Both say they find files but when they complete scanning the drive they say no NTFS or FAT partition could be found. I have also run SpinRite on it but it gets to about 5% then SpinRite crashes.

Right now I am running Puran on it.

I do not know for sure if it is an NTFS or FAT partition or something else. I assume it is NTFS as my customer only has a Windows 7 system and the drive is 1 TB. I emailed them to verify it is only been used on a Windows 7.

The drive is bad.

Any body have any suggestions as to what other software I can run on it to hopefully recover my customers data? If no software suggestions any suggestions for professional data recovery services?

I also post this same post here. But since there has been no activity in the forum for over two years I wanted to post it some where else as well.

Thank You

Try Easeus partition master and data recovery programs, I have had success with both. You will need a separate hdd or partition of equal or larger size to recover data to, partition recovery will happen on existing drive. They have free trials to see if it will work on the drive you are working with.

If you have to send it out, our company has used Gillware (gillware.com) to recover data. They tell you first what they will be able to recover BEFORE you pay or at least they used to do that. It's not cheap.

"Funny" story about that. Had a business customer send them a hard drive to restore a database. Well the database consisted of like 23 files. They got 21 out of 23 files back after customer approval. However that was not enough to allow the database to load. Ouch!! If they were pictures, you would have said great - 21 out of 23 pictures, but a database - NO.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Another possibility....
Buy an exact make/model drive, remove PCB board, install it on the "bad" drive. Cheap possibility before sending it to a recovery company.
As to recovery companies, my experience has been hit or miss. A lot of the time they recover some of the data, but seem to miss the files you really need.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics, 1949

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back