Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Recovery ....PLZ SAVE ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jupbs

MIS
Jun 17, 2003
BD
Hi All
I have an accounting database in SQL server 2000. Today I created a script to copy the database, but mistakenly run the same script on same database. As a result my tables have been dropped and I am unable to get my data. I don't have any backup of the mdf or ldf or not even any backup device. I have checked the log file, it says it has no data. Is there any way to recover my data? Plz help.. its really urgent.
Jupbs

The only way I know is to use a tool like log explorer, but if you have blanked your log file not sure if it will work.
You can download a version from

"I'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart

From my understanding about Log Explorer (I've never used it, but I have seen lots of posts about it):

1. The evaluation version only works with PUBS and NORTHWIND databases.

2. You must have installed it BEFORE you need to read the log.

You dropped your database and don't have any backups. Sorry, they are probably gone. There is one chance and it's not very good....you've probably heard that when you delete a file from a hard drive, it's really not deleted. With proper software you can sometimes get data back that's been deleted. This MIGHT work for you. Problem is that SQL Server is very particular with their databases. If even the slightest part of the data is missing, it won't restore.

I don't know of any disk/data recovery software, but I'm sure you can GOOGLE and find some.

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Thank You everyone. Now I know how SENSITIVE SQl server is. It automatically COMMITs user operation. Yes Bill I think you are right as I have checked the Lumigent software. I also wanna try the data recovery software but not sure in which drive or directory I have to look for my data. Do you have any idea where sql server keeps it rather than its default location?

Thanks again

Jupbs

Hi Bill
I have a good news and a bad news. Good news is I have recovered the mdf file from my hard disk. But unable to attach it. It says....Error 5105- Device Activation Error. The physical file name '[' may be in correct. Can u give me any suggestion? I have opened it in word pad and fortunately this is the file which i am looking for. Plz help...
Thanks again
Jupbs

Hi everyone

can any one give me suggestion on this?

Server: Msg 823, Level 24, State 2, Procedure sp_helpfile, Line 9
I/O error 38(Reached the end of the file.) detected during read at offset 0x0000000019a000 in file 'E:\SQL DATABASE\BGymAccounting\BGymAccounting_Data.MDF'.

Connection Broken

I couldn't attach my recovered mdf file and it seems like SQL has change the file header of the MDF. Does any one have any idea how can I correct the header of the MDF file?

Thanks in advance.

Jupbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back