Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Recovery in NTFS - The opposite situation... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allen455

Technical User
Jan 18, 2007
US
Hi again, I have a new problem actually, and ironically it's just about the opposite of what I was dealing with a couple days ago. Now it's my mom's laptop that is broken, and I'm trying to recover her data off of it, instead of deleting it...

The laptop is totally dead... she dropped it and it's not looking so hot. However, I got the hard drive out and connected via USB to my desktop, and I have copied almost everything over just fine. The one thing remaining is a bunch of photos that are in her My Pictures folder, which is unfortunately locked. Is there a way to get at these files without sticking this drive into another computer and booting up? (I have the password, in case that helps, and I imagine it would...)

Cheers,
Allen

If you can see the folder, and can right click it, you will need to take ownership of the folder, to gain access to it.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Great, going to try that right now...

Thanks vacunita, I followed those instructions and got it all set! Thanks very much!

Allen

You welcome, glad you got it sorted out.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back