Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Recovery from Server with RAID Adaptec

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuego

IS-IT--Management
Mar 20, 2001
IT
this is my configuration of the Server:

-Adaptec ARRAY 1000 Family with 4 disk SCSI attached ULTRA2 LVD
-It has NT4.0 Service Pack 5, when i boot the machine it gives me this error:
The drive may be corrupted, autochk runs, but looks like it doesn't mount 2 of the 4 HD.
So i went into the utility of the Adaptec Array, and ran a diagnostic on all 4 disks, 2 of them give me "bad block", it prompts to correct this and so i did, i rebooted the machine but it still gives me the same error.
So i put an EIDE and i intalled NT4.0 on it, it boots fine but i doesnt' recognize my adaptec array...and so it does'nt recognize my 4 SCSI HD.
I need to recover my data on these drives.
N.B. Last thing, i don't know how the raid was configured...

Plesae Help!!! If you can't convince'em confuse'em

Put simply - you are in trouble. There are options, but I don't hold out much hope.

1. Get a new adapter IDENTICAL to the one you have. This will eliminate if the adapter is at fault.
2. With 4 drives, you could have a number of RAID options
2x2 RAID-1
1x3 RAID-5 with hot spare
1x3 RAID-3 with hot spare
1x3 RAID-0 with hot spare
These are just a few of the possible RAID levels that you may have been running.
3. Restore a backup. You do have a backup, don't you ?
4. Don't spend alot of time repairing "bad block" errors. If the adapter is incorrectly reporting these (perhaps because it may be defective), anything you are "fixing" may indeed be "breaking" things.
5. Call Adaptec support

Good luck. Have your backup tapes close at hand.

Bill.

I don't suppose that anyone has resonded to you dilemma.
RAID devices, controllers, and the like can be very difficult to recover, especially if not knowing the configuration and the levels (raid 0, 1, 0+1, etc.).

I have knowledge in recovering data from raid systems as I am in that business.
My suggestion is to get help, don't attempt this yourself. Trust this to the pros.

In order to help, even I would need to have the system in front of me to evaluate the problem. Problem could range from the simple to very complex, either physical, logical, or a combination.

If you have any questions, send me an email

Klon Shugart
Data Recovery Technician
kshugart@adv-data.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back