Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Recovery for MS Server 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

tech7131954

IS-IT--Management
Feb 9, 2012
US
Have a strange one ....

Running WIN 2003 R2 Standard on our Dell 2950.

Have a C: main drive for OS & applications

Have E: Data drive for all data storage

On the E: drive have a folder specifically for each AD user's profile data and documents - about 15 user folders total including mine.

This am - I was remoted into the server and was just adding permissions to a few shared and other data folders for a user. Everything seemed to have been fine. I logged out and when I arrived at the office - users were not able to access their documents in the profile folder.

I checked the master profile folder ... and ALL user folders were deleted-missing except my folder??? Very strange.

I checked everything possible and couldn't find the folders.

We are not running "shadowing" on that drive .... and my 4 TB NAS server crashed last week and is at manufacturer being repaired.

So I don't have current backups of those folders to restore.

There has been no data saved to the E: data drive since I found this problem so we could attempt a file undelete without having any sectors overwritten with new data.

I loaded Enterprise version of Undelete SW and ran the adv scan and there was no sight of the deleted folders found? The program found many files I had recently deleted in January while cleaning up the data drive for more space. No Problem - all were there ... but Nada on the user profile folders.

I really need someone who has either experienced this type of file deletion in SVR2003 and has a solution or can direct me to an answer.

Thanks for reading this long post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back