Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data provider failed while executing a provider command

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2002
US
Hi everyone,

I created a simple DAP out of a report. The database resides on a fileshare on a remote server (remote from my desktop). A created a link to these dap pages via a sharepoint web page. I did this by specifying a path the the .htm data access page file. When they click on it they get this error: 'Data provider failed while executing a provider command'

I found this Microsoft article about it:
The problem is, it begins to talk about IIS and a web server and this path: inetpub\ server is not a webserver. Its just a file server. Does this mean I cannot fix the problem unless my database is on a web server?

Hi dhookom,

I read the article you sent me and in the introduction it mentionds Access 2000 or Access 2002. I am using Access 2003, do you think this article will still apply?

I don't know. Do you have a web server running IIS? DAPs don't work (AFAIK) on a file server.

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

DAP's kind of work on a file server. That's how I am running them right now. My users can view my pivot charts just fine from a data access page. But when I gave them reports via DAP, that's where I ran into problems.

I am getting IIS to install on a server today, so I was going to follow this guide you sent me, but am just wondering if it applies to Access 2003

Again, I don't know. I have avoided DAPs in favor of ColdFusion or ASP or other web technologies that have been around longer and will be around longer.

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back