Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

audiopro

Programmer
Apr 1, 2004
GB
I have been reading up on the Data Protection act as applied to the UK and there is a lot of information to wade through.
Anyone know of a source where the important points, in relation to web site data gathering practices, are written in plain English rather than legaleese?

Keith

Thanks Chris
I had been on that site and while it provides a lot of useful information, I still have some specific issues I need to resolve, maybe some of the members could give me the benefit of their wisdom.
Code:
Does our Company need to register our intention to store data?
Code:
We have a section within our site which allows member companies to anonymously contact other member companies. Are we allowed to store the contents of these contact forms?
I am thinking in terms of allowing us to investigate instances of abuse which may arise. The information is mostly requests for brochures etc. not anything sensitive.

Keith

I'm not a lawyer, but the DPA protects personal data - data about persons, not companies. So your B2B interchange probably isn't within the scope of the act.

As a rule of thumb, if you have a system which stores people's names and addresses (email or snail mail), you're probably covered by the Act. You need to delve into the legalese to be sure though.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

From what I have read it seems that the main point of it is to prevent disclosure of personal details. We are gathering Company contact details and a contact name and nothing else which could be deemed personal.
Thanks for the interest

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back