Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data problems on SC

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyA

IS-IT--Management
Apr 29, 2003
IE
Our organisation is considering implementing SC5 using Oracle 8.1.7 as our DB. I have a concern about the lack of data integrity, even at app level. It seems as though SC is implemented more as a file system instead of a relational type database and over time could result in some serious data inconsistencies and data anomalies normally associated to pre-hierarchical/network database designs.

Questions
- Has anyone experienced data integrity issues relating to SC? For example, contacts belonging to non-existent locations.
- How did you overcome these problems?
- Does SC have any integrity checks and how can they be implemented?

no way from sc side , but you can use format control and validations to build some rules for this

Thanks dx111ge,

This was my concern because this is a huge task. Please note that I'm not that familiar with the tool and therefore may be asking an obvious question : Is there a way of determining the references (FK) to another table using P4 or it's data dictionary (I assume that there is one). The only mechanism I have is the oracle query (assume I searching for all references to company) :
select table_name, column_name
from cols
where lower(column_name) like '%company%'.

This however will only work if all company references have the word 'company' in them.

normally it works , but sometimes , the names are different ( relations between company and another field in another table with the name 'name'). what you need is a erd , but the ERD from peregrine isn't really helpfull, some relations are missing.

We are currently consulting at a client who uses SC 5, and at first we also wanted to change the P4 DB over to a RDBMS. However, after doing some investigation, we decided to rather create a shadow RDBMS database. P4 is optimsised for performance, and we use the Shadow database for all our integrity and reporting requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back