Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Output Problem with Labels

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnice9

IS-IT--Management
Apr 29, 2003
US
I am trying to print a student's current year transcript on a label (Avery 5162). The data to be shown is :

StudentID StudentName
CourseID CourseTitle

When I do this in letter format the data returned is:

10 Jane Doe
0041 English IV
0225 Spanish V
0432 Sociology
and so on

However when I use the Mail Label Expert The data returned is:
first label
10 Jane Doe
0041 English IV

second label
10 Jane Doe
0225 Spanish V
and so on. Why is the label expert only allowing 1 line of detail for the courses?
In both cases I am using CR 8.5 and am grouping on StudentID. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

C.Nice
RealTime Information Technology Inc.

C,

Make sure that you're grouping by Student ID. When you're in design mode, you should have a group header with your StudentID and StudentName fields, and a details section that has CourseID and CourseTitle.

-dave

Oops,

Just remembered that the Mail Label expert thing doesn't do groups.

This is how you could do it:

I'm assuming that you're dealing with 2 tables: Students and StudentCourses. I'm further assuming that your main report (that you created in the wizard) links the tables by StudentID.

In design view, in your Details a section, leave the StudentID and StudentName fields there. Delete whatever's in Details b. If there any other Details sections (c,d,e, etc.), delete them. Insert a subreport, using the StudentCourses table as your data source. The fields you want are CourseID and CourseTitle. On the 'Link' tab, choose the StudentID field from the StudentCourses table for the 'field to link to', and by default, it should create a parameter automatically for the subreport. Put the subreport in the Details b section, and modify as necessary (you might want to get rid of the header and footer in the subreport).

On the main report, go to the Database menu, and check 'Select Distinct Records'. Now you should have something similar to what you're looking for.

-dave

It seems to me that you are getting repeating group headers because the details are not fitting on one label, just as if you were displaying a details section on a page and they didn't fit, they would move onto the next page with a repeating group header. So before trying anything else I would test this by reducing the font size of the fields. Try using the A- (A underline) in the toolbar, which allows you to reduce font size down to as small as 1 pt (not that you want a font that small, but at least you could see whether this is the issue).

-LB

Thanks Vidru, the subreport did the trick. However now that the labels are returning the proper data and formated I want to move to a larger label. In CR 8.5 I could do this by choosing Report - Report Expert, But now that I moved to CR 9 I can not find the same functionality. Can anyone tell me where I can change the label type in CR9? Thanks

C.Nice
RealTime Information Technology Inc.

Haven't used 9.0 extensively, so I don't know if the Mail Label wizard exists or not. If not, could create a new blank report with the exact same data structure, but this time, you'd set the Details section to display the data in multiple columns. If you have your label size, you can input that when setting up the height and width of your columns. It would also be best to limit the growth of the subreport in order to keep you labels from overlapping.

-dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back