Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data modeling & reporting tools 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

codemech

Programmer
Feb 8, 2004
US
I am in need of a program to help me consistently design and document SQL 2000 databases for several clients. The SQL Enterprise manager is just too weak on reporting. I have tried Visio 2002 and find it to be weak on reporting as well (plus it crashes randomly). I am currently evaluating Case Studio 2 from CHARONWARE and it seems to work very well. Before I write the check ($349.00), is there any other programs to that I should evaluate that are in the same price range (or less)?

Thanks,
C

May want to take a look at Embarcaderos' ERStudio as well as Computer Associates ERWin.

Thanks

J. Kusch

>> The SQL Enterprise manager is just too weak
I agree.

I use visio for small tasks but for a large environment would go with ERWin - but there is a learning curve associated with it.

Whatever you do don't allow tye product to update the schema for you.

======================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
DTS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.

Visio was never meant to be a reporting tool. It is just a design tool with all the popular notations built in. As far as I know it does a good job at that aspect and another good job of converting your ERDs to SQL-Server objects.
Try to look at the new SQL-Server report writer from Microsoft, it was originally scheduled for release with the new version of SQL-Server but the very positive feed back from the clients encouraged the company to make it available for SQL-Server 2000 too.

Walid Magd
Engwam@Hotmail.com

I'm using PD 9.5... good, powerful, IMO sometimes damn complex and not always user-friendly. Plus advanced editions of PD cost waaay more than $350.

I have finished my eval. of Case Studios 2 and have made the purchase ($349.00). So far I am very pleased. One of the big items that influenced my decision is that they allow you to use the license on several PC's for one developer. I can legally install it on my office, notebook and home pc's. Sweet!

-- Codemech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back