Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data migration renaming new server to old server - good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnzdog

Technical User
Nov 18, 2004
US
Hi All,

Ive been tasked to migrate a user data share from a server 2000 machine to a newly built server 2008 box. I have a script that will copy all the data, i have been asked to complete the task by taking the old machine out of the domain and rename the new machine as the existing server. Is this a good idea? Im told they would prefer to keep the server named the same, but im thinking this may cause issues with DNS etc?

Thanks

How would it cause DNS issues? I don't see the need to keep the same name, but removing the original server first, then renaming the new server should be fine. You can do an ipconfig /registerdns to update any DNS records.

Do you have your Tek-Tips.com swag? I've got mine! Pick some up at
Stop by the new Tek-Tips group at LinkedIn.

I thought it may cause issues with the client machine caching the servers original address??

I thought it may cause issues with the client machine caching the servers original address??

Potentially, but as Pat pointed out that record should eventually expire. Hopefully sooner rather than later. If users have connectivity issues they can always do the IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS trick to force the client to query DNS for the new server name (assuming that the old server records are gone).

I generally dislike recycling server names like this, but I see why they would want to and it shouldn't be an issue.

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

As long as you do it over the weekend (or equally slow time), you should be fine. I don't reuse server names either. With proper planning, things should be seamless.

Do you have your Tek-Tips.com swag? I've got mine! Pick some up at
Stop by the new Tek-Tips group at LinkedIn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back