Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Migration Manager for IP Office Transfer utility tool from BCM query 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firebird Scrambler

Programmer
Apr 7, 2003
GB
Hello everyone

As I'm new to IP Office, having just recently completing the basic course. I'm interested to hear from anyone who has used or had attempted to use Avaya's "Data Migration Manager for IP Office" tool?.

The start page displays..

Data Migration Manager (DMM) is a time saving desktop tool used to migrate configuration and user data from one system type to another system type for which there is no traditional upgrade. The Data Migration Manager for IP Office allows users to move BCM or Norstar Mailbox data including Personal Greeting and voice message to an IP Office system. The tool also converts Auto Attendant greetings and announcements to IP Office format so that the may be reused on the IP Office system.

The following migration paths are supported:

BCM200 Release 4.0 to IP Office
BCM400 Release 4.0 to IP Office
BCM1000 Release 4.0 to IP Office
BCM50 Release 3.0 to IP Office
BCM50 Release 5.0 to IP Office
BCM50 Release 6.0 to IP Office
BCM450 Release 1.0 to IP Office
BCM450 Release 5.0 to IP Office
BCM450 Release 6.0 to IP Office
Norstar MICS Release 7.1 to IP Office
Norstar CICS Release 7.1 to IP Office

There are four steps to the conversion process.

Data Extraction

The Data extraction phase is used to populate Norstar or BCM data into the DMM tool. The data can be extracted from a Norstar or BCM device or it may be loaded from a file created during a previous extraction procedure.

Data Review

Data review is a page that will display the data recovered from the Data Extraction. If extracted data is from a BCM 4.0 System, the user is required to input the true MBM Configuration from the BCM 4.0 System. This is so DMM can remove any extraneous data that exist in the tool.

IP Office Data Creation

IP Office Data Creation happens after the extracted data has been reviewed and accepted by the user. During this phase the user can select which mode of operation the target IP Office is to be configured, which Voice mail system to use, the target hardware configuration, and the system's IP Address.

Data Transfer to IP Office

The data transfer to the IP Office system is performed using the IP Office Manager application. When the user accepts the IP Office configuration, the data is written to a file and IP Office Manager is executed so that it reads the data from the file created by DMM. The voice mail messages and greetings and the Auto attendant greetings are available in the folder selected during the IP Office Data Creation phase. See subsequent help screen for further details.

################################################

From reading this, it would appear that most of the BCM configuration is converted to IPO as a *.cfg file?. If so, then does it save time or does it create additional problems?.

I'm currently running the tool from my home BCM 50 system at V6.0 and it seems to be that it will back up most things including voicemail messages in a zip file.

Will the BCM conversion be OK for most IP Office releases including the latest Version 11 build?.

Any help will be greatly appreciated please.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

i'm an original BCM tech since it was first released by Nortel and was called Enterprise Edge. When Nortel went under I reluctantly became an IPO tech. The DMM didn't work that well the few times we tried using it, we ended up calling it the Data Mangle Manager. I would recommend against using it as we spent a lot of time trying to figure out what data came across and if it was accurate vs what data was lost. In the end we found doing a manual migration, writing down the programming, or taking screen captures of a BCM Element Manager pages and then using that info to manually program an IPO. That was you at least knew what data you were inputting rather than relying on a flaky piece of software.

Hello Nortel4Ever. Many thanks for the advice. After I had ran the utility, I got an error message stating that it hadn't seen any Call Pilot from the BCM. Great tool to use if it had worked properly!. A star from me.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

Same thing here, i tried it 3-4 times unsuccessfully until we ditched the IPO...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back