Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DATA line too long error in Netscape Messaging 4.15 p7 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

oubaas

ISP
Jan 14, 2002
NA
I am running solaris 2.6 on a sun ultra 10 machine with netscape messaging 4.15 patch 7 as my mail server.
Some mail users (not from our client base and not always) receive the following error messages when sending an email to any one of our clients on the mail server:

>>> DATA
<<< 550 DATA line too long (Max 1024)

The logs on the mail server indicates the following error:

Network Error: Client DATA line length exceeded (Max 1024) from xx.xx.xx.xx [xx.xx.xx.xx]

I manage to capture one of these mails that create these errors and notice that it contains some very long single lines inside the body of the message. (over 1200 characters on one single line before the next line starts)

Does anyone know how can I solve this by letting netscape messaging accept these type of mails with the long data lines.

Thanks

I'm thinking that this was a possible security issue with Netscape that they patched with rev 6 of NMS4? I don't see anything specific about the data lines in the message itself but it is consistent with the other fixes with >1024 characters in the SMTP HELO and the Groups of long recipient addresses crash MTA (DoS issue). Sounds like they made the change across the board.

I'm also running NMS4.15 p7 on Solaris 2.6 and haven't see this problem yet, but it doesn't mean it hasn't happened here and I'm just not aware of it.

Don

Sounds like the max line value of smtp is set to the default of 1024 on your server. To check issue the following commnad:

configutil -o local.service.smtp.smtp-accept.maxlinelength

if the value is 1024 as I suspect it is then you can update it with the following command:

configutil -o local.service.smtp.smtp-accept.maxlinelength -v 16384

Hope you find this helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back