Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Labels with Values in crosstab query or report

Status
Not open for further replies.

omondragon

Technical User
Jul 30, 2007
US
Is there a way to include the data label as part of data. For example I have the following data set:
Quarter Product Price Qty
Q1 Product A $5 500
Q2 Product B $10 1000
Q3 Product C $5 1500
Q4 Product D $20 500

I would like to see a table that has Price as a Row Heading, Quarter as a Column Heading and both the Product and Qty in the detail (so that they are grouped into as few rows as possible at the row headings). For example:

Price Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4
5 500 units of Product A 1500 units of Product C
10 1000 units of Product B
20 500 units of product D

Does anybody have any idea of how i can accomplish this within Microsoft Access (any which way, be it query, report or a combination of)?

Any help would be appreciated!!!

(Sorry if my tables above are not that great but i don't know how to input this in.)

Create a crosstab with this SQL view:
Code:
TRANSFORM First([Qty] & " Units of " & [Product]) AS Expr1
SELECT tblDataSet.Price
FROM tblDataSet
GROUP BY tblDataSet.Price
PIVOT tblDataSet.Quarter;
This will work with your sample data but might not work with actual records.

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

hi

a solution to this is not to do a crosstab if you are doing exact colums all the time. just write them into your query headings yourself. see below SQL.

SELECT example.price, IIf([quarter]="Q1",[quantity] & " " & [product]) AS ['Q1], IIf([quarter]="Q2",[quantity] & " " & [product]) AS ['Q2]
FROM example
GROUP BY example.price, IIf([quarter]="Q1",[quantity] & " " & [product]), IIf([quarter]="Q2",[quantity] & " " & [product]);

hope this helps

Energy & persistance conquer all things!

GirlBlonde,
I believe your solution will create two lines in the result for the Price = 5.

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]

hi
there are no duplicates from my queries i only gave you Q1 & Q2 examples only thats why proberly why thinks price 5 is duping. below is the outcome of query using your exact table properties.

price 'Q1 'Q2 'Q3 'Q4
5 1500 of Product C
5 500 of Product A
10 1000 of Product B
20 500 of Product D

i have added a 'of' in the middle as i saw you wanted it in there. Below is the complete SQL

SELECT example.price, IIf([quarter]="Q1",[quantity] & " of " & [product]) AS ['Q1], IIf([quarter]="Q2",[quantity] & " of " & [product]) AS ['Q2], IIf([quarter]="Q3",[quantity] & " of " & [product]) AS ['Q3], IIf([quarter]="Q4",[quantity] & " of " & [product]) AS ['Q4]
FROM example
GROUP BY example.price, IIf([quarter]="Q1",[quantity] & " of " & [product]), IIf([quarter]="Q2",[quantity] & " of " & [product]), IIf([quarter]="Q3",[quantity] & " of " & [product]), IIf([quarter]="Q4",[quantity] & " of " & [product]);

GirlBlonde,
If you look at the results of your query, you will see two rows in the output with [blue]5[/blue] under the price column. The requested output has only one such row.

Duane MS Access MVP

hi dhookom
please just disregard that then thats my input. good pick up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back