Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data input and back button

Status
Not open for further replies.

jn03

Programmer
Jan 16, 2003
CA
Hi all,

I have a form where users can enter some data and then submit. When they hit the browser's back button, I would like them to see the data they have entered and edit it. But, when they hit back, all the data in the textboxes is gone. How can I make the browser to cache all the imputs. Thanks

Unfortunately, the browser caches the pages that get sent to it, not the versions after you have typed in some values. So when you go back, it redisplays the empty page. Unless you send the completed page back to the server, and redisplay it in the browser, you won't be able to go back to it with the back button.

Most people spend their time trying to avoid the back button, for example to prevent duplicate submission of orders or accidentally double-debiting credit cards (always a good way to enhance the customer perception of your site :)). You could try adding a 'Back' link on your form, and using the server to redisplay the page with the data as entered.

Thanks a lot for your reply. It works for me now, using my own back button.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back