Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data import from Excel using DTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

edmundo

Programmer
Jan 24, 2001
GB
Hi,

I'm trying to import data from an Excel spreadsheet.One of the fields in the spreadsheet is a comment field which is often greater than 255 characters.

On importing the data to SQL, this field concatenates at 255 chars. It doesn't matter whether I create the import table up-front with the field data type as text or whether I create a new table on import, the same happens.

Even if I create a tab-delimited text file from the spreadsheet, I get a row of #'s if the field is > 255 chars so it looks the same would happen with BCP.

I was wondering if anyone could shed any light as to how I could perform this data transfer effectively..

ta

Eddie

Eddie, I had the exact same problem and, after a few hours of trying various workarounds, I gave up and created a VFP process to do it. At first I thought it was an Excel limitation, but I think its a DTS problem. After that episode, I now try to avoid using spreadsheets as a data transfer medium unless I must.
Robert Bradley

just some information for anyone reading this thread..

I have managed to import the data above. I essentially exported the data from excel to a tab-delimited text file and used the bulk insert command to import the data. (I did have some problems - tab characters within the excel spreadsheet mainly)..

However, I use an access97 GUI and link to the SQL tables. Even though I have stored the data correctly in SQL, displaying it in Access is a real pain. It again concatenates at 255 characters by just linking the table

Workaround: Major fudge but the only way I can display the information in Access is:
1) to split the comments fields into numerous fields no greater than 255 in SQL
2) create a stored procedure
create procedure sp_siteaccess as
select * from tblsiteaccess
3) create a linked query in Access q_siteaccess linking to sp_siteaccess
4) create another query in Access rejoining the columns..
yuck

[An oddity of this is that if you merely create a joined query without splitting the fields (i.e. fields >255), acess just displays every character after the 255th!!]

the moral is : avoid this at all costs, unfortunately I can't...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back