Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

data has disappeared in my sdekick 99 views

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 30, 2005
US
Can anyone help me remedy the problem on my WIndows XP Professional computer:
After workiing fine for months, suddenly the data displayed on Contacts and on Memos pages have disappeared. The files are there, the entries counts at the bottom of the pages are ok, but there is no info on each page itself.
(They are ok on my other Windows 98 computer connected via network.)
Thanks

Dear JohnJMartin,
Have you tried to open them in the Windows 98 computer connected via network and then save them as another name and close them and try to open them in the XP one?
You are not trying to have the cardfiles open in both computers at the same time, because that is a sure way to corrupt them?
See how you get on with that, but backup all your data before you do anything.
See if any carfiles have matching **.sktmp files WHEN the programs are closed.

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort!

james33

Thank you for your suggestions, but the problem persists.
I did as you said, saved a cardfile with a new name on the windows 98 machine, then opened it from the XP machine, and had the same continuing problem - correct number of pages in the new cardfile, but no words on the pages.
(I had previously tried opening old files that I had saved to my backup Maxtor drive and had the same results.)
In answer to your other comment,I never have both computers open to the Sidekick program, although I am only loosely connected via a Linksys home network.
The XP SIdekick looks and works perfectly except for this huge flaw.

Dear johnjmartin,
Mmmmmmmmmmm!
Does the Calendar work?
Actually if you backup everything
(the whole Starfish|Sidekick98 folder) and then
Whilst sidekick is closed
rename
Starfish\Sidekick 98\data\sklayout.skw
to
Starfish\Sidekick 98\data\zsklayout.skw
and then restart Sidekick.
Let me know how that goes
Jim

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort!

JIM-
I followed your re-naming suggestion but it had the same result - contacts and memos are blank.
The calendar works just fine -- entries are added, stored, searchable and visible.
I tried adding a contact and adding a memo - in each case the entry successfully changed the total number count of cards/memos at the foot of the page, but the pages were blank.

Thanks
John

Dear John,
Is the new card that you entered visible?

Regards Jim

Jim:

No the new card is not visible, except in the "look for" search box, where it does appear along with other, older entries with the same word in the titles.
The entire program's functions seem to work ok except for displaying the lists on the left and the contents of a page on the right.

Dear John,
Select a Card in the cardfile list and then go to
Edit|Copy Special Setup
then see, if you select the fields and go to
Edit|Copy Special if you can paste the data from that card into a notepad window.

Jim:
Yes, those functions: Copy + Paste into a Note page worked, and after I closed and re-opened skw99, the pasted data was still there, but still no info on left side (title, list of contents, etc)
It seems as though evertything is there, but just not viewable.
I ran Sybot and AD-Aware to see if they might find something buried in Windows or SKW99 but no luck.
John

Jim:

I think I may have stumbled into a solution: I went to this page:and re-installed sidekick99, and everything is now working fine, as well as in a backup version on my D drive.
Thank you for your generous help.
John Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back