Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data from Web to Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

trystanhuwwilliams

Programmer
Aug 23, 2002
GB
Hi,

I wonder if anyone knows about this...I want to set up a web based form which allows users to enter answers which will update a central database. I'm not really looking for detailed, specific answers at the moment as i want to establish a few things first.

i. Is it possible for Access to import data in this way, & if so what sort of software would you need to design the web based form? Could you actually use a data access page?

ii.What level of programming knowledge would be required to achieve this?

Thank you for your time,
regards,
T

I've done this using Data Access Pages and it worked great. I store the data, the user enters on the web page, to a table on our SQL server. I then use Access to link to the table so that we can manage the information. Generally, the dept that wanted the web page created must keep track of the info, add to it, and report on it.

One nice thing about a data access page is that it can be opened just like a form in Access. Note, however, that the Access 2000 version of Data Access Pages is version 1. Also note that it has its limitations. For example, users must have Office 2000 installed.

Ok, thanks that sounds promising, although I was hoping that the web page could exist independently from Access/Office & that as long my computer was always on & running the database - that it would be able to receive the data from the web pages.

Are you saying that all PC's involved in this process need to have Access installed - is it possible for Access to import this data from a web page - accessed via Internet explorer ??

Thanks again
Trystan Rgds
~Geoff~

Yes, you can update an Access table via a web page. We've done it using vbScript. You just have to set up the connection string to the Access database. The users of your web page do not have to have Access installed.

Hey Trystan - please check who you've logged in as - looks like we've got a mixup in the database - I keep getting logged in as you and now it would seem vice versa. Pls check before posting. To work around this, just log out and then log back in
Ta
Rgds
~Geoff~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back