Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data from a record transscribed to another record.....HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pack10

Programmer
Feb 3, 2010
US
I am having an issue with a fairly new db app. It went live in January. We had no issues until about 3 weeks ago when it was shown that information from one of the records merged into another record. I dont see how that is possible but it happened on two other occasions. How do I go about solving something like this. We have 3 bad records out of 400. Its very arbitrary.
How do you go about solving something like this?

I don't think they are, because I built an audit log
That records each field data changes.
I am going to watch each record as it moves
Thru each status and see when and if the issue
rears it's ugly head.

Pack10 said:
[blue] ... information from one of the records merged into another record.[/blue]
[blue]Merged in what way? ...[/blue]

See Ya! . . . . . .

Be sure to see faq219-2884 [blue]Worthy Reading![/blue] [thumbsup2]
Also faq181-2886 [blue]Worthy Reading![/blue] [thumbsup2]

Information from one record now appears in one of the other records
In the table. For instance if they are working on record #314...information in the fields can appear in one of the other active records.a
They work off a grid by selecting the record. They edit it and put it in a status chosen from a drop down.
Once it is "Manager Review" an email goes to the manager to approve. He simply selects it from the
Drop down and saves the record.
The supervisor has noticed the information from records has appeared in another record.
It has happened 3 times ...in 400 records...

Have you confirmed this is a data error (i.e. the actual underlying database record is wrong) versus a presentation error (e.g. the query for the form or report is displaying it wrong)?

If you have an audit log, can you not find out when one of the affected records had it's value changed? Your audit log should indicate the exact time, the user, and from where the change occurred.

Otherwise, I would take a good look at your form and/or code that allows a record to be added/updated. Hopefully you have this located in one central place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back