Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Status
Not open for further replies.

stront

Technical User
Feb 24, 2003
MY
Backup Exec v8.6 working perfectly most of the time on Windows 2k SP 3. Using a Sony TSL-11000 Autoloader and an Adaptec AIC-7899 SCSI card with Microsoft drivers.
Get this error and a failed job every couple of months usually on a full backup:

Storage device "DELL 1" reported an error on a request to read data from media.

Error reported:
Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Restoring an email or any file works good from the failed job.
I clean the drive before each weekly full backup and once during the week.

I've got no idea what's causing this, any help out there!!

Looking in the job log is the error in writing or verifying - I have had verify fail if the tapes are over 12months old or the drive is slightly 'iffy'. I guess the verify read current is lower than the write current on the heads.

We get those occasionally too and I'm sure everyone else does aswell. Usually when we get these errors we ensure the tape drive was cleaned and make a note of when the tape failed and what tape it was.

If the next time the tape comes into rotation it fails we would normally destroy the tape and replace it.

The error occurs in verifying, right at the end. Tapes are used 4 times max and the DLT drive is not that old either - what do you mean by "iffy"?

In my personal opinion if you are only getting this error once every couple of months, and it's on the verification then you shouldn't worry - thats a good backup.

I have yet to see a backup-exec job of any great size go through flawlessly for any decent length of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back