Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Entry: Drag and drop

Status
Not open for further replies.

webfaktor

Technical User
May 22, 2001
Greetings,

OVERVIEW: I am in the process of developing an Access 2000 'prototype' database that will eventually be modified to become accessible over the Internet. The main functions my database will provide it users is the ability to enter and subsequently manipulate data.

QUESTION: My client is requesting that I devise a drag and drop feature for the data entry aspect of the database. More specifically, a drag and drop feature that allows the dragged and dropped selections to become the many side of a one to many relationship. Is it possible for me do develop this type of data entry feature within an Access 2000 database, or would I need wait and develop it later whence the database is modified to become accessible over the internet?

I would very much appreciate direction on this matter.

Sincerely,

WF

Access doesn't do Drag-drop. This really doesn't have anything to do with your database though since it's merely a UI enhancement.

I've done drag-drop using the ODE version ListView control which does offer drag-drop events, but otherwise you're probably going to have to create your own custom controls, or look into some third party controls with drag-drop functionality.

You could do the UI with VB instead of Access, but that's a lot more work than creating a custom control. All you really need to create your own drag-drop is MouseDown and MouseUp events, and Mouse coordinates to detect whether the mouse is positioned over the controls. Then you just change the cursor icon when a drag is initiated.

As far as the ASP version of your UI I'm not sure how that would be done.

Good Luck,

VBSlammer
redinvader3walking.gif

Webfactor

I have only just read your post now and I found a module in a sample database on Microsoft.com that does allow you to do this in Access, I have got it working, having some minor problems (hence I am checking the posts) as I have multiple drag and drops on several forms and I think it is getting confused, but if you are only wanting it from one field to one field, it works fine. Let me know if you want more details or can't find it on Microsoft.com.

Tanya

FrmSmp00.mdb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back