Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

gb0mb

IS-IT--Management
May 30, 2007
US
I have been tasked with finding an answer to encryption of corporate assets primarily laptops.

I am looking for the following (or any other suggestions):

Complete system encryption

E-Token based encryption

Centralized token management so if an end user looses their e-token another can be created so the encrypted data is not lost. Or maybe a "GOD" mode for the administrator to be able to log onto the laptop and decrypt the information.

Another plus feature would be that if the laptop is powered on the encryption system polls an external corporate site to see if it is listed stolen and then start deleting itself.

I have read the articles that keys are stored in RAM and can be obtained through a memory dump. I am realistic in the sense that nothing is secure if you are targeted by a determined adversary I just hope to make them pull some hair out while they decrypt my drive....

Thanks in advance.

Gb0mb

........99.9% User Error........
Ubuntu -- African for I can't install Gentoo

99% of the time would be XP. I think this is a viable solution. It seems to be a little more configuration than I anticipated but it does fit the bill of what I am looking for.

Thanks for the help.

Gb0mb

how about PGP Whole Disk Encryption? or TrueCrypt (opensource/free)

I looked at truecrypt and it didnt have the central management I was looking for.

I am currently looking at SafeNet. It has some features which I was looking for.

It gives the ability of single sign on into windows from the boot sector logon.

If you maintain a administrative copy of certificates you can issue one time passwords to users via a challenge response.

Supports Tokens

I am still checking it out. I like what I have seen so far. It looks like it offers some decent AD integration also.

Gb0mb

Thanks Notleks, I will check that one out also.

Gb0mb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back