Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Encryption in access

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonikudi

Technical User
Sep 9, 2007
US
Hi

Does anyone know how to encrypt data? I have a password field for which i would like this ("******")to show when the user enters the password.

Hopefully it won't be so involved. If anyone knows the code or could point me in the right direction it would be great.

Thank you!

If you want to encrypt data stored in the tables, there are many VBA implementations of encryption algorithms - google for vba encryption algorithm and they will come up.

The password box in the input mask only stops it showing on the screen, but is a worthwhile precaution for sensitive data input (such as passwords) nonetheless.

John

If you set the Input Mask as Password in both the form and the table the values in the table will be ***** !

The Missinglinq

Richmond, Virginia

There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat!

Hey

thanks so much you guys..writing 'password' in the input mask worked very well.

This still doesn't encrypt the data though - which was sonikudi's original question.

There are many ways of reading the data protected with a password input mask. If the data you are storing is of any concern to you, then this is good for protecting against people looking over your shoulder, but it won't stop a determined individual trying to gain access to your data.
For example - what about connecting through applications other than Access (via ODBC or reading data into Excel for example); what about using linked tables to another Access database or going into form or table design and changing the properties so that it gets displayed onscreen, or in a form, report or query?

John

i guess i shouldn't have used that word ;encrypt' basically input mask is what i was looking for..didn't want anyone else to be able to see the password..if they were around..while the user entered it in the field

That's OK, sonikudi! Most people responding to questions on forums like this understand that terms used by the original posters are not always exactly what is meant! We generally look at the overall question and respond to that, as orna and I did.

Glad we could help!

Linq

The Missinglinq

Richmond, Virginia

There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back