Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Display issue and the "\" Character

Status
Not open for further replies.

0sprey

Technical User
May 9, 2015
CA
I am trying to display data containing the "\" character.

This text data is stored in one only database field as ' PN\abc123PN\def234PN\hij345 '
The PN\ is the identifier for each new instance of a PartNumber. Each PartNumber is always in the alph-numeric format of abc123

When the field is added to the report only the first PartNumber displays i.e. "PN\abc123"
The rest of the string is ignored.

I think the "\" character is somehow 'to blame' for this strange behavior.

Any thoughts on what may be causing this condition or work arounds are apprecaited.

KMD

I have had fields in the past where the "\" character has been used and it has never caused a problem, and have just tested it now and it worked.

Are you sure it's not just a question of the size of the field on the report (probably a silly question but thought it worth asking anyway)?

Have you checked the Display String properties (right click => Format Field => Common Tab => x2 beside Display String) to make sure it hasn't been formatted to display only the first part of the string?

What sort of source data (ie, database) are you querying from? How are you connecting (ie, ODBC)?. The only other thing I can think of is that it is something to do with either the database itself of the connector.

What happens if you use a formula to return the field, rather than the field itself? What happens if you use REPLACE Function to replace the "\" with another separator character, eg:

Code:
REPLACE({Table.Field}, '\', '|')

Hope something above helps you to get to the bottom of this. If not, post back with the answers to the questions raised and hopefully one of us will be able to assist.

Cheers
Pete

Do you have rtf text interpretation enabled for that field?
I think \def may be an rtf tag. At least \deff is. This issue would be very unlikely though.

I tested entering your text in a formula and had no problems with all possible settings.
Try setting the field to grow - perhaps there are some hidden line breaks after each Part number.

Setting to CAN GROUW did the trick..... thank you !

PS
The PN now display in column format... not a long string such as in the data field. So it displays better that I was hoping for..... Merci again.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back