Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

data dir moved

Status
Not open for further replies.

helsknight

IS-IT--Management
Nov 10, 2004
US
Have a MS SQL install on C drive (default) but the data dir is on the D drive. D was getting full so I did a backup of D and restore to a new drive F. F was then re-assign the dir letter D. In enterprise manager, I can't access the SQL server anymore, icon has red square (connection failed, check SQL server registration properties.)

If I change the new D back to F, and re-assign the original back to D. The SQL server works fine. I recall the sa password to a database in the server. Not sure if that is the same password for the server also... but I think so.

So what's going on here. Do I have to revert back to original, move the databases to new drive F, then change drive letter to D again? How do I find if my current password is correct? Thanks for helping a newbie...

Hels

Before you did a backup of the D drive did you stop the SQL Server?

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back