Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Dictionary

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonnerrw

IS-IT--Management
Aug 6, 2003
US
I have a problem accessing the data dictionary in progress V8.2c. If I start the procedure editor, go to tools, and select data dictionary, I can select menu items, but subsequent selection screens don't appear. If I select "database", then "select working database", the two databases that are running won't appear. Any idea's, am I too vague about the problem?

Just a guess, but I'm betting you're starting the editor with either no -- or the empty -- database attached. If you're still experiencing this problem please expound:

Which platform are you on?
What command (exact syntax) are you using to start the editor?

Thanks,
sshowers

Hi,

We connect to two databases using _progres and a .pf file. We can query the databases in procedure editor, and when you go to tools/data dictionary, it takes you to the data dictionary...however, if while in the data dictionary you select database then the option "select working database", where it would normally show you two selections, it quickly executes something and closes the menu with no results..

> Which platform are you on?
> What command (exact syntax) are you using to start the editor?

Also, what are your environment settings (especially PATH, PROPATH, and DLC)

Thanks,
sshowers

Platform HPUX 11.0...
In the connection file we use this line.
/travel/scripts/prgm -pf /travel/winparam.pf

in the prgm file, we have this:

!/bin/sh
PROCFG=/travel/dlcrt/progress.cfg;export PROCFG
TERM=vt220;export TERM
PROTERMCAP=/travel/protermcap;export PROTERMCAP
DLC=/travel/dlcrt
PROPATH=$PATH:$DLC:/travel/dlcrt/bin;export PROPATH
PROEXE=${PROEXE-$DLC/bin/_progres}
export PROCFG DLC PROPATH
exec $PROEXE "$@"

Having never worked with HPUX (always AIX) and not being familiar with the "sh" shell (always "ksh") -- I'm not sure what, if any, idiosyncrasies those two environments introduce. Barring anything there, I notice that your prgm script exports PROCFG and PROPATH twice -- which also shouldn't cause any issues.

The only thing that comes to mind would be to try setting the environment variables and running the Progress editor manually to see if the behavior changes. Try typing each command individually at the shell prompt:
Code:
     PROCFG=/travel/dlcrt/progress.cfg;export PROCFG
     TERM=vt220;export TERM
     PROTERMCAP=/travel/protermcap;export PROTERMCAP
     DLC=/travel/dlcrt;export DLC
     PROPATH=$PATH:$DLC:/travel/dlcrt/bin;export PROPATH
     $DLC/bin/_progres -pf /travel/winparam.pf
Hope this helps. If not, what are the contents of your "winparam.pf" file?

--sshowers

No change in execution if you enter it manually, heres the winparam.pf and thanks for the help...

Parameter file for Travel Manager startup
# DO NOT MODIFY!
-l 200
-s 63
-yy 1950
-q
#-k d:\tm\no-key.dat
-db /db/travel -ld travel
-S TRAVEL
-N TCP
-H 131.6.121.8

-db /db/fast -ld fast
-S FAST
-N TCP
-H 131.6.121.8

Mind you I'm just spouting ideas off the top of my head...

If you're accessing local databases from a character mode procedure editor running in a terminal emulator (vt100, vt200, etc.) session -- why are you specifying -S, -N, and -H parameters in the .pf? Those are parameters that belong in the .pf called to start the DB server. Have I mis-understood the environment? My client-side .pf looks like this:
Code:
     -mmax 4096
     -D 500
     -s 100
     -T /app/temp01
     -t
     -yy 1950
     -h 7
     -q
     -db /app/db4/apphead
     -db /app/db2/applines
     -db /app/db3/appother
     -db /app/db2/appsm
     -db /app/db3/appstat
     -db /app/db1/apptrans
I don't know what affect, if any, those parameters would have on the client session. Also, you mentioned earlier that when you chose 'select working database' from the menu "it quickly executes something and closes the menu with no results...". Any chance you can "trap" the message or what it's trying to execute?

Let me know,
sshowers

We changed the startup scripts and deleted the extraneous options as suggested, to no avail. I'll work on the trapping to see if we can capture that..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back