Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Conversion: Any suggestion for best practice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackONeill

Programmer
Mar 8, 2004
US
Hello Forum!
Hope you are well!

So, I'm trying to convert a Database to another... I'm starting from a SQL server DB and would like to end to CSV files. So I can upload them easily.

I manage to create a ODBC link to the SQL Server DB. And I was able to download some table to MS-ACCESS. I got a buch of error. But I have a lot of table to start the analysis and try to match the data with the final csv file layout.

Of course, the table from SQL DB have some relationship that are not automatiquely done in Access. Is there a tool in acces that could provide you the relationship? Or Propose you? Or do i need to build up all by myself? Sa As I'm quite a beginner, or at least it's been a while since I use ms-access, so I'm starting from scratch...
So It may a stupide question.

Second, I have supposed that I will be able to select the table column from the imported table to rebuild the desired table. But How can I do it? Do you have any tutorial I could follow? Or any key work I could google to find some info?

I will also need to load data from the relationship table. but I have supposed it's straightforward from my previous question.

I will also need to filter some data (double line, or some technical data that I don't need, filter past year to keep only 2015...). Also same question, what part of Access do I need to check and study?

I have also a bunch of logical condition to apply (like renaming, or getting data from other line...) Whitch could be quite specific. Like renaming from 2015 or use some conversion table... I was wondering is this owould be handle we script? Or other way?

Right now I have recreate my destination Table in Access. And I'm trying to feed it with original data... But can't really progress...

I'm using the Ms Acces as I have this tool on my computer. But If you have any software suggestion to perform this data conversion I would appreciate any feedback.

Thank you for your feedback
Bye!!!

JackONeill,
Your questions aren't very clear (at least to me). You stated "I got a buch of error" but didn't tell us anything about the errors or if they are preventing further work on your project.

Do you understand Access queries that allow you to:
[ul]
[li]combine the records/fields from multiple tables/queries[/li]
[li]Filter records to a specific subset[/li]
[li]Create new columns based on expressions[/li]
[li]Sort the records[/li]
[/ul]

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.