Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Capture

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComputersUnlimitedVA

IS-IT--Management
Mar 9, 2015
I am not a POS expert or person. I am hoping someone can help me or point me in the right direction.

I am trying to connect Geovisions GV-Data Capture at two different stores, with different register systems. The first store has a Ruby SuperSystem with Sapphire, the second has Ruby2 with commander. So far I have only attempted to configure the Ruby SuperSystem with Sapphire, I am not able to get it working. Each location has two registers.

The first issue the documentation says to connect it to the receipt printer, however I spoke with one of the techs that installed the register system today and they said they have always seen these devices connected to the journal printer. So should I connect it to the receipt printer or to the journal printer? The journal printer makes the most since because only new sales will be recorded on the DVR, not receipt reprints, or reports that are printed. However like I said above the documentation says the receipt printer.

Second if I connect it through the receipt printer and set the dip switch appropriately I get a E9002 printer comms error. The printer is connected with an RS-232 (at least that is how it is labeled) cable from the POS so it is serial but I am not sure on the baud rate, which may be the cause of the printer comms error. The error may also be a result of the cables.

If I need to connect it with the journal printer, the issue here is that this is electronic, their is no physical journal printer. So this will most likely mean getting Veriphone involved. I called them today to try to get the baud rate and got nowhere. If I connect it through the Journal printer that would also mean I only need one capture device not two (I believe)!

The final issue is that the cables coming out of both systems all have RJ-45 connectors, while the receipt printers are serial DB-25, the capture device is Serial DB-9, so their is a lot of conversions.

If someone has done this successfully in the past, or can add some insite I would greatly appreciate any assistance you could give me. I have tried several Google searches, however because this is an obscure issue or topic the information is sparse.

Thank You

Kevin

Kevin Watkins
Computers Unlimited LLC
Owner / Network Engineer

Facebook:
Google+:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back