Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DATA BASES CHOICE ACCESS,FOXPRO,OTHER 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryWilsonCPA

Technical User
Jul 19, 2000
US
Are any other low cost datatables available besides access 200 bucks or foxpro 300 bucks?

Are there alternatives to these two systems - I have used access extensivly and foxpro a little? Is the next step with ms products to go to SQL Server?

Thanks

Gary -
If you have one of the "better" versions of VB (i.e. not the "working model" or "control creation" editions), you can download the MSDE (Microsoft Data Engine). It's the desktop version of SQL Server. There are some limitations -- 5 users, 2gb of data, but for small projects that's not too onerous. I don't know if you get the Enterprise Manager with the download (you really want this tool).

You can also down a copy of mSQL or MySQL from the internet. They won't hold your hand -- if you want to create a table, you have to run a "CREATE TABLE..." script. But they're quite powerful, and many major internet sites run them.

Chip H.

SQLBase($quote) or CodeBase($400) What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back