Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Access Pages...how good are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

btj

Technical User
Nov 17, 2001
US
I have developed a relatively robust database. It works great on a few machines and I have pushed it out to a server, but my boss wants more. He is interested having it be completely web-based and accessible by our intranet.

I have dabbled with data access pages and trying to push my forms to web enabled formats (primarily as experimentation), but have had little luck. I need the exact functionality that I have now, but I need it online.

How hard is this to do? Will all of my code and modules be integrated? Any advice would be greatly appreciated...I want to be able to recommend an action, but don't feel confident enough currently.

Thank you, in advance.

I would appreciate any thoughts that you may have on this subject. My boss wants me to start working on this soon and I would love to be more educated on this subject.

Please help!

I am faced with the same problem. My solution has been to purchased ASP.NET and VB.NET books (self-teaching) and learning how to connect via SQL between ASP pages and the server based database. I started looking at Data Pages too but came to the conclusion that if I were going to move forward in web databases that these newer language might be the best bet. Lots of example code on the net, etc.. plus an ASP site here.

I couldn't even get a combo box to behave with Data Pages, and need for my materials to work on both Netscape and Explorer, whereas Data Pages only work on the latter.

Isadore
Thanks for the input. Although my needs are only for Intranet usage (via Explorer) I was, also, concerned about the functionality of my database on the web.

As I have already created all of my user forms (including much backend coding), I am concerned about having to, not only, learn new material (ASP) but redesign/recode all of my front-end material (forms, reports, etc.).

Could you tell me a little more about your experience?

Thank you,
Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back