Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Access Page Equivalent Access 2007 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bajo71

Programmer
Aug 6, 2007
US
Hello,

I am aware that MS has discontinued the Data Access Page functionality in version 2K7, but I need some direction to construct a company-internal(intanet?) web page that pulls data from Access 2K7 db. The data is ultimately sourced from Windows Active Directory, but maintained/edited in Access. As such, the admins wish to create a daily script that updates Active Directory pages from Access db. The db is used to create views for the intranet page. Is this the best way to accomplish the aforementioned? Could all queries/publishing to intranet be accomplished from Active Directory? I'm not familiar with Active Directory, but it seems that using Access as intermediary app might be superfluous.

Many Thanks......Mickey

You have a requirement to edit from a web page?

If so, you are correct, completely toss Access and use another tool. Because you are talking about manipulating an MS product, I would look at the .Net environments.

If you want to manipulate the data via Access... forget the web page. You want to use ADO to open up Active directory and manipulate it directly (No Access data). I believe I saw a post in the past month about doing this. I have no experience doing this. It SHOULD be in the modules forum but often threads end up in other places.

My expectation is you have no experience with Active Directory and .Net. Unless you have a lot of time on your hands, I'd recommend hiring someone to write it or buying a product that does if you are going down that path.

I see. Active Directory I have no experience with. .NET I have built a pretty sophisticated derivative pricing calculator and launched the program as an executable, so I do have .NET know-how, however I never messed with ASP.NET or ADO.NET - that may be crucial.

Thanks

I've barely touched .Net myself but from what I understand getting into ASP is not that big a leap. ADO should not really be that big a deal either if you have worked with any kind of recrodset, cursor or array and generally understand databases. Now for a realistic expectation of time or a better opinion, goto a .Net forum :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back