Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DAT TAPE ERRORS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

StamaMan

Technical User
Dec 3, 2003
GB
Hello

I am experiencing a frustrating problem with dat tapes and was wondering if anybody out there has had the same problems and can give me some advice.

We receive monthly tapes from sites all over the world mainly using dds 2 drives and tapes. We have recently upgraded some of these dds2 drives to dds4. Now when we try to read the dds4 tapes we get a tape error from the application software. The host machine reading the tapes has a dds4 hp dat drive. I can use cpio and tar with tapes from these upgraded sites, it seems to be the application that does not like them.
I have created a tape and then read it successfully with the same application software so I do not think it is a software/application problem. I suppose head alignment is the obvious thing to look at but as all the drives are new and are all from HP I am doubtful that this is the cause.
Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

stamaman

Stamaman, can you post the error you're getting?

All I ask of you
Is make my wildest dreams come true

If your app is statically linked, it may need re-linking to grab the proper drivers.

You could use dd to pipe the image into your app also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back