Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DAT 24 & Win2003 & Compression

Status
Not open for further replies.

alanwebb

MIS
Nov 23, 2001
GB
I have recently installed for a client Win 2003.
They have an old DAT 24 drive, which is detected by windows.
HP do not supply any updates for the drive.
Using backup exec 9.1, this detects the device no problem.
I am able to backup no problem.
But I am unable to utilise the compression on the device.
The device is loaded under device manager and I can see the option to change the compression option from False to True. However this is greyed out.
If I use the HP Library & Tape tools utility and run the compression test, it tells me Compression is not enabled, and gives me the option to enable it. I select yes and this changes the Device manager attribute to True for compression. However if I restart it changes back to false.
Anyone have any ideas how I can get the device to load with Compression enabled at all times.

Thanks

What firmware is currently on the drive - check it with HP Library & Tape tools. Also check if there are any problems reported when you run the diagnosis. You might also check the jumper setting on the bottom of the drive where you can set the compression status.

SteelBurner

I have the exact same configuration, except I am using Backup Exec 9.0. My drive is also external. When I look in device manager it tells me that the compression is on. If you check the dip switches under the drive (pain in the butt if it is external as you need to remove the case) 1 and 2 should both be on for compression to be enabled. You have probably already checked but you also need to specify that backup exec use hardware compression in job setup (I believe). Hope this helps!

make sure of a couple things
1) the driver on the tape dirve is the veritas driver
2) removable storage is disabled
3) flash the firmware
4) set compression to OFF on the drive and ON for the back up software
5) check in the SCSI bios that the transfer rate isnt set to high or to low and in Veritas make sure the blocker size is set to around 32....this should fix you right up
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back