Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dashing 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimandja

Programmer
Apr 29, 2002
US
The em dash, the ef dash, the en dash, the hyphen.

Are these things grammatical ploys or simply devices to make life easier for typesetters?

Geez, chessbot, where did you dig that one from? Great reading!

I was really bored the other day and browsing the site... It's fun, isn't it?

--Chessbot

There is a level of Hell reserved for probability theorists in which every monkey that types on a typewriter produces a Shakesperean sonnet.

Never knew the use of em/en-dash and hyphen were specified that sharply! Excellent link, chessbot!

This gives a totally new meaning to Word's autoformat of [space] hyphen [space]: It's turning from just sentence-widening to most-of-the-time-completely-wrong! [bigcheeks]

[blue]The last voice we will hear before the world explodes will be that of an expert saying:
"This is technically impossible!" - Sir Peter Ustinov[/blue]

I agree, an excellent link. One of the better explanations of the dashes and hyphen that I've seen, with the added benefit of some implementation techniques.

Thanks.

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back