Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

darn asp

Status
Not open for further replies.

KryptoS

Programmer
Feb 7, 2001
BE
Hi,

I want to compare a value in a field with a value in my recordset and I got something like this:

if (Request.Form("test") > Cstr(CInt(oRS9(2)))) then
end if

I know that there is something wrong with Cstr(CInt(oRS9(2))) because if the value in oRS9(2) is eg 15 he takes only the 1 to compare with "test". And if it is eg 35 he takes the 3 ... so can someone help me with this?

thanx

p.s. oRS2(9) is a smallInt

If it's a number field you are trying to compare, then use this...

dim theNum
theNum = oRS9(2))

if cint((Request.Form("test")) > theNum then

I don't know why it would be truncating your number like that with what you had above -- Sometimes I have problems evaluating a number read straight from the recordset, but I couldn't tell you why -- and so I fix the problem by reading the number into a variable, and then evaluating that.

good luck! :)
Paul Prewett

I should qualify the above by saying that if your user doesn't enter a number in that form field that you are requesting, and it's strictly a string value, then it's gonna raise an error, so you'll probably need to do some form validation on the page that it's sending from to ensure your users don't get a nice vbscript error.

:)

thank you for the information, it works ... and also thanks for that second message, but I already knew it :p ... see you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back