Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DAO Record Locking for ODBC Linked Tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveTappenden

Programmer
Jan 16, 2002
I have a large Access 2000 Database which was initially developed as a small multi-user (5 users) system. I had the foresight to ensure all forms were created as unbound ones, using DAO recordsets to populate on demand. The application works trouble-free over linked Access tables (to a MDB backend). Over time, the user count increased to a point where I now have had to upsize the back-end in SQL 2000, using ODBC.

My problem:
The application really rocks under this arrangement, partly due to the unbound forms, but the record locking (that seemed to work so well with linked Access tables) has now turned to cottage cheese. I need to achieve pessimistic record locking, trapping dead-locks etc. I have ensured that each upsized table has a timestamp field.
If SQL detects a locked record, how can my DAO Access code (I can't afford the time to convert to ADO) detect, trap and remedy the situation?

Any pointers would be most appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back