Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dang that is smoke! Did I fry the mobo???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzman7

Technical User
Aug 1, 2005
US
Swapping out a new mb/cpu combo. AMD64 2800 CPU. Anyway I THOUGHT everything was hooked up correctly! When I booted up, the power cable to the floppy burnt up! Now no post up / video at all. The PSU fans and CPU fans come on fine, drives fire up but no post....

Haven't had a chance to take it down to a bare bones system to start troubleshooting...or switch out some stuff......

Question is, do you think I fried my MB or CPU???

TIA
Zzman7

Only you will be able to tell. Take it apart and start troubleshooting. Good luck.

Zzman7,
You may have had the power cable to the floppy plugged over to far to one side.Try it with the floppy power and ribbon cables unplugged.

Yeah, sounds like the floppy power cable was connected incorrectly.

Likely just the PSU is damaged (down on one power rail)

Very unlikely CPU is damaged
Slight possibility of motherboard damage

This type of symptom obviously indicated a dead short so definately take the time to treble check motherboard mounting (brass standoff's only located in the correct places) and power cable orientation.
Start with motherboard, CPU, Heatsink/fan, graphics card, 1 stick of memory and a good power supply, only.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

If the power supply kept running long enough to burn the floppy power cable you had time to damage or stress everything else in the box. Excess current on one line from a dead short should have caused the power supply to shut down for protection.
Paparazi has given good advice, I'm just more pessimistic than he is because of the time it takes to get a cable hot enough to burn.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

The last time I messed up the floppy plug, it burnt a resistor on the floppy board. Are you sure the cable is damaged?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back