Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

damaged Background Intel Transfer Service 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagel

Technical User
Jan 14, 2001
US
Have newer XP Home with SP2 that lost network connectivity. Cleaned 13 viruses and discovered Background Intelligent Transfer Service (set to Automatic) is Stopped and can't be started. Get Error 2147952506 but don't know where to go for more info. Any ideas where I can find more info?

Set it to Manual and do the suggested Winsock fix, this service does not need to be set to Automatic.

"The Background Intelligent Transfer service is used by programs (such as Windows AutoUpdate) to download files by using spare bandwidth. The Background Intelligent Transfer service can maintain file transfers through network disconnections and computer restarts."

Search in the Help section for Services (by right-clicking on the Services icon) and locate the article "Default settings for services".

As an non related aside, I wonder if the BlackViper Services site will ever come back again, it has been missing for a while now?

Excellent! bcastner, I would love to find out how you came to the fix "netsh winsock reset". I spent an hour searching MS Knowledge to no avail before posting here. Any tips you can share on gleaning info from Microsoft?

I am glad it sorted the issue.

See:
faq779-4625

As to searching Microsoft, it is not very easy. My honest preference is to use Google instead, both Web and Google Groups.

In this case the issue is fairly well known (in part from the FAQ above - Very high Google pagerank), and a Google on something like "lost network connectivity after virus cleanup" or similar should have returned enough clues to lead you to the same advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back