Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Damaged 206 modules 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcarrethers

Technical User
Aug 27, 2002
US
Recently I attempted to change the main processor on a system with two cabinets. I powered the system down and replaced the module. Then was unable to power up. I reseated all the modules and was still unable to power-up.

There were three (3.1 EC) 206 modules, a 4.1 processor and a voicemail module in cabinet 1 and one 3.1 EC 206 and a 200 module in the second cabinet.

After testing by moving modules around, I found that all three 206's that were in cabinet 1 no longer worked. The voicemail and the processor from cabinet 1 are still operational. The 206 and 200 module from the second cabinet are still good also.

I asked my supplier if maybe powering up in the wrong sequence could have destroyed the 206's in the first cabinet. They said it shouldn't have.

I am having replacements shipped. How can I ensure that I don't have the same thing happen when I try to install the new ones ??

You can't, because you did nothing wrong. They were ready to fail, you just pushed them over the edge!

206 modules (especially in the first cabinet) run hot because they are pushing a lot of wattage for phones, ringing, etc. As with any electronic device, the thing that kills them is temperature changes, causing PCBs and components to expand and contract until failure finally occurs. When you shut it off and brought it back up, you cooled and reheated the 206s and then shot them with a power surge from 0 to 110v. My bet is they are all of the same vintage, probably within a few hundred digits on serial numbers. Replacements should have new(er) power supplies and you should have no problems on installation.

It this business, that's one of those things the customer looks at you and says "What did you do to it?" and you'll never have a plausible explanation for them, no matter how many times you've seen it before. That's why having a good relationship with your customers is crucial - so you have credibility when the d@mn thing bites you!

Hi mcarrethers,
392 is absolutley right. To further your case, show the cusomer the overheating marks on the top of the cards. The more brown they are, the more cooked they are. They were just waiting for the next power fail (and you were it!).
Happens to all of us,
-Chris

You should have the latest release 206 in 1st slot.
Also if 1st slot 206 is defective the others will not power up. Try swaping different 206 to 1st slot. also there is a fuse on the carrier backplane under the white plastic cover near the power switch you could check.

Thanks again to the three of you for your help on this !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back