Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

daisy chaining

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim178

IS-IT--Management
Aug 12, 2002
AU
I have been told that if a 100mps switch is connected to a 100mps server then each port (if 24 port) would be allocated 1/24 of 100mps (4.17mps), and if another switch is then daisy chained to that switch the second switch input would be 1/24 of the server and each port of that switch (if 24 port) would be 1/24 of 4.17mps. I hope that makes sense ?.

Is the basis of a switch?

I thank you in anticipation

This concept potentially applies to Hubs, not switches..

BuckWeet

each port on a switch has its own set bandwidth, hubs on the other hand share the bandwidth which is where you were going with your question.

------------------------------------
Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

Thats a hub concept. A switch is only limited by the switch fabric itself and how it is able to handle at a given time. At todays speeds you are looking at many gigbits per second switching capacity.

i am right in assuming then that;
a 24 port switch that is 100mps always allows a max of 1/24 of 100mps to each port regardless of how many work stations are connected.

i am sorry about my ignorance on this as i am in a small country town in australia without to much training available.

No---100MBps (actually, 200MBps, counting inbound AND outbound) on EACH port. Each port get's its own bandwidth, so to speak...

Burt

Viper or anyone,
What do you mean precisely when using the term fabric? I keep seeing this but have found no specific explanation. Ran into that issue before with the term virtualization... Took me forever to figure out that people just like to tag the word on as a sales strategy for their products in many cases.

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Virtualization is a specific technology that allows a company to run many virtual servers on the same server or in most cases, a cluster of servers, saving hardware costs.
There are virtual desktops as well, same concept---people would be operating off of dummy terminals all connecting to one massive array.
Fabric simply means that which does the switching, the deal on which the switching takes place, a combo of switching hardware or software. The word "switch" is almost synonymous with fabric.

Burt

I think "fabric" is just a useful cool-sounding term that sales people like to use to refer to what's happening under the hood. It refers to the underlying architecture of the switch.

Awesome.. Thanks guys!

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back