Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

daily HPxxxxxx.cfg are created

Status
Not open for further replies.

drrank

IS-IT--Management
Feb 9, 2006
ES
Hi,
i notice that in the c:\WINNT\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3 are creating daily this HPxxxxxx.cfg files where xxxxxx are random numbers and letters, is a configuration file for a printer in format xml. this is some sort of virus?

the system is a windows 2000 advanced server
printers installed are a 2100 and a 2550 HP printers.

thanks in advance

Hi drrank, I don't think that's a virus; it may be related to a bug I've seen in Win2K where the machine insists on installing the printer anew after every reboot or startup - you can check for this in the System logs.

Hi satrow,
thanks for answering so fast.

indeed in the system logs continuosly log the following

id 9 event print

Printer <printer name>/<computer name> Session <number> was set.

what thrills me is that computer name is not computer name of the machine but another machine in the domain

and also appears

id 2 event print

Priority of document <document name> on <printer name>, owner <owner name>, was changed from <initial priority> to <changed priority>.

this happens continuosly, not only in reboot

Do you happen to have shared printers? I see this with shared printers. Some PC will create a session on another PC for the shared printer. I see it alot on Terminal Services.

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Hi 2ffat,

the printer is shared in another machine in the domain, the machine who shares is a DC of the domain and the machine with problems with the files creating is also a DC, the two machines are windows 2000 advanced server, the machine with the problem is also a exchange 2000 server.
the machine with the session that is generating logs is a client machine within the domain

thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back